Wednesday, September 2, 2015

You Deserve A Break

It's hard for me to read the news. I used to shun it because I found it so depressing that I couldn't stand existing afterwards. And then I got angry instead of sad, and it made it easier to keep on top of current events.

But with this day in age, it is easy to see everything and that gets a bit burdensome. I'm finding my heart heavy all the time - it is exhausting. I find myself thinking:

Shut up!
Oh my GOD! Stop worrying about [insert problem here]!
They would be better off dead/sick/injured anyway!
This is the way nature works!
It's their own damn fault!
So what?
Get over it!

On the other side of things, I find myself thinking:

How can you be so stupid?
How can you not understand [insert problem here]?
How can you not feel?
How can you not get angry/upset/frustrated?
How can you not do something?
Why is it so hard to see this is bullshit?
Why is it so hard to see this is going on?
Why is it so hard to see these daily things we're doing are causing people to die?!

I think everyone feels/thinks at least some of these things sometimes. And this is the price we pay for conquering the planet, wielding such technology that we do.

Compassion burnout.

So, when you get to this point, take a break. God rested. You should rest. Really.

Take a break already!

And during your break, do all those things that feel good. Eat good food. Laugh with friends. Have sex. Lounge in your underwear. Dance in your living room to your favorite playlist. Take a hike. Go for a swim. Lay on a field and look up at the sky. Play a game. Read your favorite book. Whatever you do, do it fully, completely, relishing joyfully in living.

Only when you are fully rested, soul and all, should you come back to the problems of the world. There are others who were working on things while you were gone. When you come back, others will take a break, grateful in knowing that someone else is working on those problems.

Remember: It's all good. It's all okay. We've got this. You don't need to save something every second of every day, and anyway, you'd die trying. That wouldn't help anything. God does NOT want that. So, pace yourself. Do what you can, and don't worry about the rest. Someone else is working on it. In the mean time, have some chocolate cake. You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment