Thursday, September 5, 2013

Childbirth is Sacred

If you follow my other blogs or my profile on other social media then you know I had my baby. As such my life is a little different these days.

If you want to read about my birth story, you can do that at Raising An Alien. However, one thing I didn't mention there that makes sense to say here is the self-talk I did while in labor.

As I was going through my pressure waves (contractions) in early labor, I made a noise similar to "Om" or "ah" though my mouth was closed. The sound helped me focus, and it reminded me of chanting. It was a natural thing for me to do - I just slipped into this sound. But the result was interesting. As I made this sound and looked around the dim room or noticed the candle next to the large soaking tub, I recognized how incredibly sacred childbirth is.

I was ritualistically bringing life into the world.

I kept saying that to myself in my head - reminding myself of these facts.

Childbirth isn't something that should routinely happen under bright lights surrounded by machines. It is a holy thing - a special thing. It is a kind of worship. Yes, it is messy and can be loud. Yes only women can do it actively...but partners are as much a part of the process. It is one of the ways humans can be closest to the Divine through creation.

Now more than ever, I am in awe of other women - of all women who have given birth. It is such a holy and unique thing. It is a divine and giving act that everyone is not able to do.

Mothers are truly blessed by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment