Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Scripture Still Speaks

Sometimes the only thing to be done is to go back to the source.

Lately many people have been telling me to trust and to let things go. Considering how high strung I've been in the past, I think I've been doing a pretty good job of this. But sometimes, you feel so down in the dumps for such a while that nothing seems to help. The cycle of depression and despair seems so great and so overwhelming nothing makes you feel better.

That's when I get a book.

In my case, it's a red hardback with white and gold lettering - the New Oxford Annotated Bible. I'm of the mind that the spirit - or what you need - will guide you to find exactly what you need when you need it. This might seem a little strange to some people, but it tends to work for me. I do this when I visit libraries or book stores as well, letting the words of the space speak on their own. Eventually they lead you to what you need.

In the case of the book, I hold it upright and then let it fall open to whatever page it deems necessary (This only works if the spine isn't battered to hell by the way, otherwise it would turn to the same pages over and over again.). Since today was just one of those days when I needed guidance, or a good word, I did exactly this. And the book spoke.

It opened to Joel - the very first page of the book.

I doubt I've ever read Joel with any kind of closeness (though some of the passages were certainly familiar to me). As I read the story, I felt my own  despair and difficulties echoed in the words. I read the beginning of chapter 1 and then I thought I turned the page, but really turned several. It led me to the end of chapter 2, which if you know Joel, you know talks about how God will not let the people continue to suffer. In fact, it talks about how amazing things will happen and the harvest will be plentiful in every way. It talks about the spirit being poured out onto the flesh which will cause visions and dreams.

And this is reassuring.

For a person with the gift of "intuition" or "discernment" or whatever you want to call it, this is a bit more than an average level of reassuring. And for someone who has been dealing with a very difficult time in her life, a metaphorical plague of locusts, the idea that God will not let this continue is also reassuring.

On the phone yesterday my mother said, "Miracles come in many forms. For now, we'll be a vessel for your miracle." And to some extent, I feel like that may be true. Perhaps my parents' support will act like a dam until a larger miracle comes forward, allowing this flood to be forded. This is my sincerest hope and wish. I hope the words of Joel, echoing across thousands of years are not hollow, but hold a hint of what it to come. I have to believe this is true. The alternative is too stark, too hard for someone weakened as I have been. For that reason, I pray a thankful prayer, grateful for the miracle that is promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment