Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Prayer in Practice

Prayer is something that all religious traditions have to some extent. The format of the prayer may be different. The deity being prayed to may be different. Still, there is something to this concept of talking to the creative force in the universe.

As I sat in my dad's office and listened to some interviews on prayer, I got to thinking about it. Then when I started fiddling with my world religion curriculum (hopefully to be published digitally very soon!) I thought more about the nature of prayer, and how it is practiced, as opposed to how it is supposed to be practiced. Two things bother me about how most people tend to pray.

It seems to me that most people pray in order to ask for things. But here's the catch - I think there is a tendency to ask for very specific things. The irony is of course, that specific things don't tend to happen. Attachment to particular processes or results will inevitably lead to disappointment; the universe simply does not go the predicted path. We are too small, too simple, with too little information to know what the right result should be. Even in cases where something incredibly horrible happens, we cannot know the long term effects. We are finite.

As far as I can tell, God, or the Divine (however you'd like to refer to the creative force in the universe) is far from finite. And I, small as I am, am at least smart enough to concede I have no concept of what infinite really means.

So when I pray, how can I ask for a specific result? That specific thing may in fact be the worst possible situation. I am incapable of knowing! Instead, I should pray for resolution to a situation that will make life more wonderful, according to my needs and those for whom I pray. Open-ended is the rule of the day when it comes to prayer.

I also noticed that most people interviewed in the video did not mention once that they thanked God for the good things in their lives. This seems really strange to me. It seems strange because even when our lives are full of difficulties, there are many things for which to be thankful.

Sometimes (in fact, I would say more often than not) my prayers at night are solely things I'm thankful for. I will go through one thing after another, no matter how small, and thank God for each and every thing. Sometimes if I'm having a really difficult day, I will have to start with those basic things - like having a soft pillow, or my sweet cat, or having eaten a hot meal. Sometimes I'm able to jump to other higher level things right from the beginning of my prayer, like having a loving husband, or a loving family, or good friends. No matter if I start with basic needs being met or relationships or even something more, any time I pray like this, I notice my mood changes and I feel so much better about my life.

It makes me think that all prayers should thank God, at least a little bit, because there is always something to be thankful for, no matter how small. There is so much beauty in the world, so much wonder. Only a person with a blinded spirit could not see the glory of creation and the blessings bestowed on even the lowliest.

Prayer is a good thing. It is something that is part of the human religious experience, and crosses our traditions. Yet when we pray, we should keep in mind that we cannot know the specific answers to our prayers - only that the Divine will certainly provide for us. Likewise, we are already so blessed, we cannot forget to be thankful for each and every blessing - no matter how small. Prayer is so much more than a request. It must be a conversation, and conversations must consist of more than questions.

2 comments:

  1. Anne Lamott (whom I dearly love) says there are three basic prayers: Help, Thank You and Wow! We need all of them. As an agnostic, I don't know for sure that my prayers can change the world (in the sense that they would entice God to create miracles to fudge the world in my favor) but I *DO* know that they can change ME!

    If I am thoughtful when I pray for Help, I can clarify my needs and often realize that I am trying to move in an impossible direction.

    If I appreciate the good things in my life in order to give thanks, I find more sunshine around me every day.

    And when I look around and take notice of this world we live in, the wonders of Nature and the laws of nature that play out in such a way that our planet sustains a multitude of life forms (including us), Wow! comes naturally.

    When I am in an atheist mood, I don't like to call it prayer, but prefer the word meditation. But I think it is really the same thing.

    And it works. Wonder-fully.

    (Lars - a.k.a. the Cali-dane)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! You raise some good points.

      In traditional Christian terms the prayers you're talking about would be "requests," "thanks," and "praise." There are certainly times and places for all these things, and I think they're all valid.

      I'm more concerned when people forget the "thanks" and "praise" bits because it indicates greater problems with spirituality. If all we do is ask for help all the time, we're missing it. I worry for people who are missing those pieces that give such wonderful spiritual benefits.

      I think you're also right about meditation being a kind of prayer, even if it isn't in a prayer "format."

      I have experienced the power of prayer in yielding positive results for people in a variety of ways. When a group of people are focusing their thoughts on one thing, whatever that might be, it makes things happen. Whether that is the Divine or simply the power of human intention is another question. Still, it does "work." It just doesn't always "work" how we expect. If we're not attached to a specific outcome, our minds are open enough to see the answer to our prayers, even when it is unexpected.

      Thankfully I have grown enough in my own journey to appreciate those unexpected answers (though I will admit it is sometimes hard). I only hope that others are able to see and appreciate those unexpected answers. They can be pretty amazing. :-)

      Delete